Homemade Granola –
Ciara Altman –
I am a huge fan of making my own granola.. It is so satisfying, you can add what you want to it and the best part is, you can control the amount of sugar or sweetness you add, unlike some of the store bought granolas which are loaded with sugar. It also only takes about 10 minutes once it’s in the oven, and homemade granola with some chopped banana, almond butter and a drizzle of maple syrup is hard to beat! It is also delicious paired with some Greek yogurt and fresh berries. This granola has some really beneficial health ingredients like nuts, oats, seeds and fruit which are full of fiber, good fats and lots of nutrients.
Serves 6 – This stores great in an airtight container for a week
- 3 Cups of Oats
- 1 Cup of Nuts, chopped (I like to use a mix of pecans, almonds, hazelnuts and brazil nuts)
- 1 Cup of Dried Fruit (I like to use a mix of cranberries and raisins)
- ½ Cup of Seeds (I like to use a mix of chia, pumpkin and sunflower seeds)
- ½ Cup of Desiccated Coconut
- 2 Tbsp of Maple Syrup or Agave
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla or Almond Extract
- Pinch of Sea Salt
*This recipe is dairy free and suitable for vegetarians. To make it gluten free, ensure you buy gluten free oats.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix together until combined.
- Spread the mixture on a baking sheet, in a thin layer (if overlapping- using two baking sheets) and cook for 10 minutes, until it is lightly toasted.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving, then top with your favourite accompaniments and enjoy!